We accept all major insurances.


foot specialist at panorama ortho

When you Should see a Foot & Ankle Orthopedic Surgeon

Posted on February 18, 2019

Achy feet are common, especially among our active Colorado population but there are times when achy feet are telling of something more than overused or overly tired feet. Here are some tips for when you should be seeking medical attention—specifically that of a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon.

  • Severe pain after an ankle sprain
    • Significant swelling, pain when non-weight-bearing, tenderness to touch, inability to move the ankle, numbness or changes of color in the feet and toes can mean you have damaged critical structures in your ankle during a sprain. In cases where these conditions exists, permanent damage may occur if no action is taken—an orthopedic foot & ankle surgeon can give you a recommendation for a boot, cast, physical therapy, or in severe cases surgery to prevent further damage to your ankle.
  • “Clicking”, “locking”, or “catching” in the ankle
    • If your ankle is “clicking”, catching” or “locking” you might have trouble performing daily activities like walking. These things can be a sign of ankle ligament tears, ankle arthritis, or even free floating cartilage or bone in your joint. See an orthopedic foot and ankle specialist to ensure that your ankles are protected and not becoming worse.
  • High-arched feet or flat-feet that become painful
    • When your high-arched or flat feet become painful, it can be a sign of the onset of plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, heel spurs, or other more serious problems that can travel up the leg. If you let this pain go untreated, the potential problems can get as severe as stress fractures or even arthritis in your feet and ankles.
  • Arthritis in the foot or ankle from a previous injury or age that causes pain
    • Arthritis in the feet and ankles is a common source of pain and can be the result of past injury or just degeneration as we age. If you feel you may have pain due to arthritis, it is important to find a foot and ankle specialist to evaluate your condition and give you options for a solution. Don’t let arthritis keep you down.
  • Achilles tendon injury
    • When you injure your Achilles tendon, you may experience pain on your heel and calf and in the back of your ankle. If the pain you experience does not get better with ice, rest, and compression, it may be time to see a doctor. The doctor can help evaluate your injury and determine whether you have torn your Achilles tendon and need surgery or other medical intervention to help it heal.
  • Ankle or foot fracture
    • If you are not sure if you have an ankle or foot fracture, a doctor can help you be sure with an x-ray. When more is known about your injury, your doctor may decide that a cast and non-weight-bearing will heal your injury or they may decide that surgery is your best option to prevent future pain and injury.
  • Deformity in the foot, toes, or ankle
    • Deformities like bunions, curled toes, or hammer-toes can be aesthetically unpleasing and can cause a lot of pain. If your deformity suddenly begins to hurt or has caused chronic pain, a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon can help present you with your options.

If you have any of these conditions, it is important to see an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon who can help present your options to you and protect your feet! From orthotic inserts and physical therapy to surgery, your foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon is the best place to trust your foot and ankle care.